12~30 Explained

What I'm really missing

It's January 18th... which means it's now been 18 days alcohol free.  What I'm continuing to notice is how many events I go to that include drinking.... and are just part of the natural routine.  But what I'm really missing... is splitting a bottle of wine with a friend!! Sitting and drinking water with someone at a restaurant just doesn't bring out the same experience.  This brings me to my next point...I really enjoy going out to dinner and making it an experience.  Starting off with a drink...  talking... sipping...talking... drinking....and then maybe ordering an appetizer...while still enjoying my drinks.... talking... and then maybe order a salad... another drink... at this point we are probably an hour and a half into the evening....  and then after the waiter/waitress has come over several hundreds of times I finally say I'm ready to order.  All and all it's around a 3 hour minimum experience.  Let's just say I haven't had anything like that in over 18 days and THAT is what I'm missing!!!  My dinner/lunch outings are lasting maybe 1 hour tops...and I mean tops!!! so ... so much for the dining experience... it's just not that fun right now.... so what am I supposed to do with this?? not sure yet.... 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Joey!

    How does your body feel during this time? I realize the mind wants it but does the body crave it? I love that you've included us on this challenge. I'm taking on pausing before I speak...not just jumping in to fill the silence. So far, ummmmmmmmm......lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great question Sally!! My body isn't craving it in the least bit... it's really ALL mind! Not only that but I'm sleeping better at night and for that I'd say my body is quite grateful! :) I like your challenge... pausing before you speak ... what are you noticing in the pauses?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you about 45 minutes off your 1 hour dining time and learn to inhale your food whole, you'll be ready to dine with kids:) hahaha...

    very interesting. in all seriousness, this makes me realize the contrast between our lives right now! 3 hours for dinner sounds like i am back in europe, lingering over dinner for hours. 1 hour feels like a beautiful luxury. this makes me want to get out for dinner without the kids and enjoy the experience (with or without wine) and stretch it out as loooong as possible.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha Katherine... indeed our lives are in different places... which is what makes this experiment we are both doing so much fun... to compare the things that 'take up space' or stay stagnant when there's not intention put out.... so I say::: please go out and have a 3 hour dinner and tell me all about it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great content Joey--what an adventure! I look forward to following your many insightful discoveries on your journey to YOU. You're an incredible inspiration; thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

    P.S. You've inspired me to meditate in March and devise a list of my own for the other 10 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam!! thank you for your encouraging words:::: You'll have to tell me what you decide to do for the other 10 months...I will be very very curious to hear!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joey,
    All I have to say is wow....You should've known I would have to respond to this blog. Wow, I assume you are going on 27 days. So whats changed? Anything? I must say I am sure that this will be an adventure. And just so you know....If you really want to have 3 hr lunch/dinner they are still possible. Sometimes they take a little longer to get to that easy feeling but they do come. And when they do, wow! Actually, I was really afraid of this point too. But they get better. They are more pure! So hang in there or come home and we can try for a 3 hr lunch/dinner and definantely now drinks for me. I also much include that I look forward to hearing about your spiritual growth through this process. I know that when we remove clutter from our lives God shines brighter. So best of luck. I love you and you are such a beautiful person inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanisha,
    Thank you for such a thoughtful response to my post! Well I completed my 31 days and as you can read from my following posts, it wasn't too difficult for me. Honestly what I gained the most was simply thinking about when I drink and my hope is that I'll continue to think before I choose to have a drink. As well as an awareness of how much money I save when I don't drink!! And yes true true about three hour dinners.. I have still had them, but truth be told I enjoy the overall experience of dining at a nice restaurant... and enjoying the experience of sharing a bottle of wine. I hope you'll keep reading my process through the next 11 months of what I add or take away. Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete